Pulse oximeter is a non-invasive method of measuring oxygen saturation of hemoglobin by putting the transducer probe on skin. It measures the oxygen saturation in percentage and the normal value for it is 95 percent and values below 92 % are considered abnormal. The equipment also displays the heart rate normal range for which is 60-100 beats per minute. Pulse less than 60 can be noted in athletes and it is expected to rise in fever and other pathological conditions.
Personal Pulse Oximeter For Home Use
Hand held pulse oximeter is an ultra portable device which can easily be used for oxygen saturation of blood in patients with respiratory and cardiovascular diseases such as COPD or cardiac failure. The device makes it easy to keep a meticulous record and help the physician to modify the treatment based on the response. It also helps to regulate the oxygen requirement and rationalize the therapy. The use of home based pulse oximeter has gone beyond medical indications. The device is finding it’s use amongst athletes, sports enthusiasts and body builders who use it for planning their work out schedules.
For Patients With COPD
People suffering from asthma and other lung diseases need to keep a track of their SpO2 readings, requiring a quality device displaying accurate stats of their oxygen saturation level and pulse rate. Accurate readings are out most important, especially when patient is active and their SpO2 level is dropping. SantaMedical invented Pulse Oximeter trusted and preferred by many elite doctors and health care institutes of USA. SantaMedical offers different variants of pulse oximeter and all the devices are certified by FDA.
SantaMedical is using the advanced technology to uphold your expectations and give you smooth and unparalleled performance. The device passes the upright light adept to measure the accurate readings and helps you to make better decisions.
Why Use A Pulse Oximeter
- To monitor the level of physical activity: People requiring monitoring of oxygen saturation levels of blood can use pulse oximeter conveniently at the comfort of home and can easily monitor the level of physical activity which keeps their blood saturation limit in acceptable range. Similarly, the work out schedules can be planned for even healthy individuals.
- Goal of monitoring SpO2 : Oxygen saturation monitoring facilitates the treatment goal of your physician by accurate measurement of the same during various physical activities. The easy record keeping within the device lets you keep track of the saturation levels at different times. Generally physicians recommend SpO2 levels more than 90% at all times.
- Titration of oxygen therapy : Oxygen saturation monitoring also enables the patient to titrate his therapy. Patients who are on long term oxygen therapy can keep their oxygen flow under check and set the flow rates minimum for optimal saturation levels and also saving on the number of oxygen cylinders. It can easily allow longer periods of stay away from home and allows more economy on oxygen consumption.
- Home monitoring of therapy: Cardiopulmonary patients requiring oxygen therapy can be monitored at home with this simple device. It can be used for pulmonary rehabilitation of such patients by training them to sustain through their periods of breathlessness and allowing them to use the supplemental oxygen optimally.
How Does Pulse Oximeter Work
Blood carries oxygen to various tissues of the body binding it with haemoglobin present in it. The oxygenation of haemoglobin happens in lungs where blood passes through thin capillaries close to alveoli. This oxygen is supplied to the peripheral tissues through arteries. One can draw arterial blood and measure the oxygen saturation accurately.
Alternatively, hand held pulse oximeter can be used which gives fairly accurate reading without having drawn a single drop of blood. The device is attached to the finger tip where it passes a beam of light through the finger tip and the received light is analyzed for saturation levels of the blood. It gives the reading almost instantly with fair accuracy.
How To Choose Best Pulse Oximeter
Pulse oximeter is a non medical use device which has to have a fair amount of accuracy for it to be safe and effective for use. While choosing your pulse oximeter you need to keep following things in your mind.
- Accuracy: since the device plays an important role in the management of cardiopulmonary patients, it is essential for the device to be fairly accurate. The record of readings of the device helps titrate the oxygen therapy. Santamedical has been an established name in electro-medical devices and it’s pulse oximeter gives reliable accuracy. It is also dependable in low circulation conditions and dark skin pigmentation where ordinary pulse oximeter might not preform reliably.
- Universal Applicability : The device should be designed in a way that the same device can be used for different sizes of fingers. There should not be any requirement of separate attachments for use in different finger sizes. Santamedical pulse oximeter provides the comfortable grip which doesn’t slip while the device gives the precise reading.
- Best warranty: The device you choose should be equipped with best of the terms of service and warranty. Santamedical pulse oximeter comes with 100 percent money back guarantee; if you don’t like the product, you can return it!
- Durability of the product : the product you buy should be strong enough to last you thousands of uses. The product should be sturdy and at the same time light weight. Santamedical pulse oximeter is one of the most durable oximeter in the market.
- Safety: the device should be safe to the user as well as to the environment. It should not release harmful chemical to the environment. Also, it should match the international safety and standardisation parameters.
How to use a Pulse oximeter
Pulse oximeter finger grip area contains a light which should be placed on the side of nail. Putting your finger in to the grip area will provide you with the reading almost instantly. Nail paints, artificial nails or cold periphery can affect your spO2 reading. Smoking reduces oxygen carrying capacity of blood and should be avoided prior to spO2 measurement.
Oxygen saturation of the blood is doesn’t always corroborate with your shortness of breath. Level of physical activity along with other factors has got a role to play. Continuous pulmonary rehabilitation has got important role to play.