An Infrared thermometer is a Non-contact, Non-probing temperature measuring device. Also known as a laser thermometer or a temperature gun, it is a new, effective and cool way of measuring the temperature of any surface available. By any means this device is superior than the previous conventional Digital/Mercury thermometers.
Some of the basic differences between the laser and conventional thermometer are:
- No risk of contamination so readings can be taken quickly for any number of people. This makes it an extremely important product in case of Infectious diseases even more so in case of life threatening diseases like H1N1 fever (swine flu).
- Readings can be taken for any surface and not only your body or a liquid. You just need to point it to the object (like a frying pan) and it will tell you the readings.
- Its quicker than the conventional thermometer and measures the temperature in just few seconds. It also has the capability of real time monitoring if you keep the trigger pressed.
Companies like SantaMedical have had a long history with these devices. The Infrared thermometer that they have designed has always been ahead of the times. Apart from the features mentioned above the extra features about them are:
- New slim and Ergonomic design with large backlit LCD screen.
- Latest Infrared technology with around 3 degree accuracy.
- Intuitive guidance system to secure positioning and accurate reading.
- Body, Surface and Room temperature reading modes.
- Celsius and Fahrenheit readings.
- Adjustable audio alarm for high temperature. This helps in setting a limitation.
- Memory keeping tab of the last 32 recordings.
- Automatic power off for Energy saving.
- Low energy consumption with more than 100,000 readings on 2 AAA batteries (included).
- Water and Impact resistant design that makes it robust. This give it the ability to take more than 3,000,000 readings in its lifetime.
In addition to the above features the SantaMedical infrared thermometers or laser thermometers available in three designs are specially designed for Forehead or tear heads temperature detection from a distance of 1inch – 4 inches (5 cm -15 cm) with an 89 – 109 F (32 – 43 oC) temperature range.
A USP of the SantaMedical Infrared thermometers is that they have been specially calibrated. This helps to not only measure the external body surface temperature (Forehead) like other IR thermometers but also convert the reading to measure the internal body temperature, an important vital sign for Health.